Thursday, April 17, 2008
Explaining the Value of Business Analytics: Clarifying driving factors in a decision support system
There are many ways to use data mining and predictive modeling to find patterns in large volume of data and transform them into actionable information. I have found that a combination of data mining and predictive modeling techniques are necessary to separate the clusters of data and clarify the driving factors. For the purposes of this posting, a vector is a multidimensional variable that uses mathematics to predict the probability of an event. When a vector (or predictive modeling) is used in conjunction with a clustering technique (separate data into groups of similar characteristics) the result is a decision support system that separate the clusters in the data and clarifies the driving factor.
The best visualization to explain this concept is in the area of graphics. The graphic to the left illustrates how a vector can clarify an image using vector and cluster analysis. This methodology can be used in any industry. The predictive modeling science and computer technology allow companies to build this capability efficeintly throughout an enterprise using products like Microsoft SQL 2005 Server Analysis Services, or SAS Enterprise Miner.
- advanced analytics (2)
- analytics (5)
- analytics tools (2)
- big data (3)
- buisness analytics (4)
- business analytics (4)
- business plan (1)
- center of excellence (1)
- classification (1)
- companies (2)
- data mining (3)
- framework (3)
- game theory (1)
- innovation (3)
- leverage (1)
- marketing analytics (1)
- predictive modeling (4)
- prioritization (1)
- priority (1)
- projects (1)
- recession (1)
- robotic surgery (1)
- segmentation (1)
- social media (2)
- trade promotion (1)
- trends (2)
- web analytics (2)
- what if scenarios (2)
- Financial Services Business Analytics: Evidence-B...
- Evidence-based Enterprise Business Analytics Model...
- Three-Dimensional Business Analytics: How Deep is ...
- Business Case for Analytics: Explaining Cluster A...
- Explaining the Value of Business Analytics: Clarif...
- Intelligent CRM Requires Business Intelligence
- Microsoft Introduces Tool for Avoiding Traffic Jams
- Information on Some Trends in the Disease Manageme...
- MARKET SEGMENTATION: A Neural Network Application
- On optimizing the selection of business transforma...
- How to compete on analytics: apply it
- Business Competency Model: Turning Around in a Qu...
- Business Analytics – Getting the Point
- Default Risk, Asset Pricing and Debt Control
- DEVELOPING RICH INSIGHTS ON PUBLIC INTERNET FIRM E...
- Seeing is believing: Designing visualizations for ...
- Computer-aided Detection of Lung Cancer from Compu...
- Sr .Net Architect
- Conference or Seminar on Data Mining and Visualiza...
- More data usually beats better algorithms
- Business Analytics is Evolving Says SAS
- Schlegel on Search, Analytics and Visualization
- People would rather live with a problem they canno...
- ▼ April (23)
- ► 2007 (55)